La online lesson: : intrapersonal task- write a diary entry for a major character of the novel
5:00 PM |

La online lesson: : intrapersonal task- write a diary entry for a major character of the novel

Character: Jem

Timeline: after the Tom Robinson trial

Dear Diary,

I don't understand anymore. Adult life is such a paradox to me. I attended the Tom Robinson trial today and instead of being just and impartial in its judgement, the courtroom was enveloped by prejudice. The evidence had clearly proved that Tom Robinson is innocent and yet, the jury's final verdict was that he was guilty. How could this happen? Ain't all man created equal in our courts like what Atticus had said? Are they not? Is our town so discriminatory that even the ideal of justice has been corrupted? It ain't right. It just ain't right. I don't know this town anymore. Perhaps the next minute, even Calpurnia might be framed and persecuted. The idea of merely walking on the streets with a negro was beginning to scare me. I don't want to live in Maycomb anymore.

Still, I admired Atticus' courage. Now I fully understand what he meant when he said "Courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what" . Even though he knew that he would never win and Tom Robinson will never be acquitted, he continued to defend him anyway. I would always look up to this trial not only as a symbolism of the prejudice and racism in our land but as a manifestation of Atticus' courage and I hope that one day, his courage will be appreciated and racial discrimination will finally be lifted from Maycomb.

Alright I have to go now. Bye!


I'm racking my brain for a new improved way
To let you know you mean more to me than what I know how to say